History

The History of Boydton Virginia

Boydton was founded in 1812 by Alexander Boyd who owned the property and designed the town. Many of the town’s streets are named for the patriotic heroes of the War of 1812. The town was incorporated in 1834, and it became the center of Mecklenburg County government. The Greek-Revival style courthouse with its pedimented portico read more...

The Boyd Tavern

The original Boyd Tavern was constructed in 1790. It consisted of a small one-story dwelling & tavern. Around 1816 the building was altered and expanded reflecting the nucleus of the present structure. By the 1820s, the building had evolved into a federal style.Following the civil war, the owners sought to give the tavern a different read more...

Boydton's Historic Renaissance

Boydton’s Historic Renaissance, Inc. (HBR) is a 501(c)3 dedicated to preserving historic Boydton and promoting economic development. BHR Board Members Will Ober, President Pam Gifford, Treasurer Walter R. Beales, III E.E. Coleman, Jr. Carol Winsett Wrenn Michael Farrow Mildred Winn Gloria Smith Virginia Anne Broyles Charles Rouse Enid Young