The 250th Anniversary Events Committee and the Mecklenburg County Tourism Office have been busy continuing to plan the final details for the March 1 kickoff event in Boydton, as well as laying out plans for anniversary events throughout the rest of the year.
The event schedule is as follows:
- Anniversary Kickoff and Commemoration Event, Boydton, Sunday, March 1 from noon to 5 p.m.
- Native American History Event (Partnered with the Pow-Wow), Chase City, weekend of May 2 (times TBD).
- Waterways event (Partnered with Lakefest), Clarksville, Sunday, July 19 (times TBD).
- Farming Heritage Event (Partnered with Farmers Day), South Hill, Saturday, Oct. 3 (times TBD).
- Rails and Trails Event, La Crosse and Brodnax, Sunday, Oct. 4 (times TBD).
With the Anniversary Kickoff and Commemoration Event in Boydton right around the corner, the committee has been working closely with the community and officials in Boydton to create a small but meaningful celebration of the actual 250th anniversary of the county’s inception. The main event at this celebration will be the signing of an historic document commemorating the milestone. State and local elected officials will gather on the lawn of the courthouse at 3 p.m. for a symbolic raising of the county flag, followed by a 21-gun salute.
The officials will then walk over to the Boyd Tavern at 3:15 p.m. to sign this historic document and forever mark the day.
Other attractions will include a short parade, food and craft vendors, live period music, a period dress contest, an appearance by the Buffalo Soldiers, numerous local historic figures reenacted and even an oral history recording station open to the public to let folks tell their own historic family and community stories to be preserved in the memoirs of the 250th anniversary.
The Boyd Tavern Foundation has been an extremely generous partner in allowing use of their property for several parts of this event, and it will be held rain or shine. Volunteers are always welcome for either the 250th planning committee or to help out on the day of each event.
To be part of these historic events, contact event coordinator LaKisha Mitchell at (434) 247-2216 or firstname.lastname@example.org.